Sunday, November 29, 2009

Using Podcasts in the Classroom

I listened to several podcasts that dealt with the Quadratics unit that my students just finished. First, I watched a video designed to conceptually describe the parts of a quadratic function. Using graphics, they visually display what happens when you manipulate different portions of the equation and provide the narrative regarding the importance of understanding the parts of the equation in order to understand the nature and behavior of these functions.

I also listened to several different podcasts providing students with rhymes and songs for remembering the quadratic formula. These include:



Besides providing students with cute songs and rhymes for remembering this tricky formula, I see this as a very valuable tool for students who have been absent or need reinforcement about these concepts. Every teacher in my school has a class website, so posting some of these videos and audio podcasts on the website could provide support for both my students and their parents. I could upload podcasts about our upcoming unit to foreshadow what my students will be learning and also post them as review activities for the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment